DAY 1: ARRIVAL IN LIJIANG 2400 m alt.
DAY 2: LIJIANG – LUGU LAKE 2700 m alt.
- Arrive in Lijiang, welcome by your driver, and drive you to Lijiang City (1hr).
- Stroll in the old town of Lijiang.
- Discover the Residence of the Mu family.
- Visit the Black Dragon Pool Park. It is a model of Chinese gardens and gives you a superb view of the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
DAY 3: LUGU LAKE – WUMU
- Drive to Lugu Lake (4h30/5hrs).
- Arrive, check-in at your hotel near Lugu Lake.
- Boat trip to Lugu Lake.
DAY 4: WUMU – BAOSHAN – WUMU
- After breakfast, meet your driver at the hotel, and depart by mountainous road to Yongning (40 minutes) and visit the local small market.
- Discover the Tibetan Zhamei Monastery
- Road to Wumu (5/6hrs)
- Arrive at Wumu village, check-in at your guesthouse.
- Free walk around Wumu Village.
DAY 5: WUMU – LIJIANG – DEPARTURE
- Meet your local guide at the hotel at 9:00 and walk down to the edge of the Yangtze River by a small, somewhat steep path (2hrs).
- Take a boat on the Yangtze to the foot of the Baoshan Village (40 minutes).
- Then, you go up to Baoshan village (1h30).
- Free walk in the fortified village of Baoshan, which was built at the beginning of the Mongol dynasty. Its houses were on a gigantic boulder and overlooking the Yangtze River.
- Return to Wumu village by private car (1h30).
- After breakfast, drive to Lijiang via the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
- Optional tour: you can visit the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
- Transfer to the airport or train station, take the return flight, or high-speed train to your next destination.
- Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking (+ 1~3 days): Located between Lijiang and Shangri-La, it is one of the must-see attractions. A 1 or 3-day journey to get a magnificent view to those who like hiking. But some passages are narrow and dizzying, impossible for those with vertigo.
When to go?
You can travel to Yunnan throughout the year. But the best seasons to do this tour are in the spring due to the mild temperatures. The summers are pleasant, and the temperatures remain temperate. Although the monsoon sometimes brings abundant rains in July and early September, it doesn’t pose a problem for this cultural circuit.
Lijiang: Winters in Lijiang are sometimes cold, but never wet. While the winter days remain pleasant (average of 15/20 degrees). Summers are often hot (sometimes 30 degrees during the day) but never excessive. This pleasant climate is suitable for exploring the region all year round.