DAY 1: LIJIANG – WUMU
DAY 2: WUMU – BAOSHAN – WUMU
- Departure to Wumu village via the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain (3h30/4hrs).
- Wumu has a long history spanning several hundred years, but the village is quieter here. The old center is built on a rock around which the houses have spread. After checking in your hotel, you can visit a Shaman Dongba family.
DAY 3: WUMU – DAJU – TIGER LEAPING GORGE
- Meet with your local guide at 9:00, and walk down to the edge of the Yangtze River by a small, somewhat steep path (2hrs).
- Take a boat on the Yangtze to the foot of the Baoshan Village (40 minutes).
- Then, you go up to Baoshan Village (1h30).
- Free walk in the fortified village of Baoshan, which was built at the beginning of the Mongol dynasty. Its houses were on a gigantic boulder and overlooking the Yangtze River.
- Return to Wumu Village by private car (1h30).
DAY 4: TIGER LEAPING GORGE – LIJIANG/SHANGRI-LA
- After breakfast, depart by mountainous road to Daju Village (3hrs).
- From there, take the ferry to cross the Yangtze River and continue the driving to the village of Walnut Grove (30 minutes).
- Hike to Mr. Zhang’s Guesthouse (3h30/4hrs) along the Tiger Leaping Gorge, and enjoy the splendid view of the mountain and the gorge.
- After breakfast, continue your trekking to the Tea & Horse Guesthouse (4hrs) along the trail between the Haba Snow Mountain (5398 m) and the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain (5596 m).
- Optional tour: If physical strength allows, you could extend the hiking journey to Naxi Family Guesthouse (3hrs/3h30).
- Meet with your driver and visit the Hutiaoshi scenic area. (You can visit on foot or take the escalator at your own expense)
- Return to Lijiang or Shangri-La (2hrs/2h30).
The rates below are indicative, and they may vary slightly depending on the season or hotel availability
|Price per person based on
|With driver + An English-speaking guide
- The hotels are mentioned in the itinerary (includes breakfast).
- Transfers by private vehicle with the driver during the whole journey. For the group without a guide, if necessary, the driver will also act as a guide.
- Accompaniment by an English-speaking guide from the 1st day (if this option has been chosen).
- For the group without a guide, a smartphone will be given on your arrival. You will always be in touch with our 24-hour service. We are going to offer you restaurants with their locations, and you can also try cashless payment anywhere in China (we are using less and less cash in China for payment).
- The boat from Wumu village to Baoshan.
- The ferry for crossing the Yangtze River.
- Accommodation and meals for your guides and drivers.
- One bottle of mineral water per day per person.
The price does not include
- International flights.
- Lunches and dinners.
- Entrance tickets for tours and activities, to be paid for directly on site.50% reductions sometimes for travelers over 60, free possible for those over 70.
- Tips for guides and drivers (It is recommended of 160 RMB / day in total for the driver guide).
- Accident, repatriation, and health insurance.
- The visa fees.
- You can also check out our organized small group tours here
- To facilitate your stay, we suggest that you change your quotes on arrival and departure at the current exchange rate. The formalities to be completed in Chinese banks are particularly tedious.
For each city, we have recommended two or three hotels for you to choose from below. The first hotel listed has been pre-selected by Ciel Yunnan.
|Tiger Leaping Gorge
|Jade Snow Inn
|Jade Snow Inn
|Jade Snow Inn
If you have more days for your trip, it’s possible to add/choose the extensions/excursions associated with this trip
- Lugu Lake (+ 1~2 days): Located north of Lijiang on the border with Sichuan, Lugu Lake, with an average depth of 40 m, is the second deepest lake in Yunnan. It stretches over an area of 48 km², and its crystal-clear deep blue waters combined with coniferous forests offer a sumptuous landscape. Travelers can ride a horse around Lugu Lake or drive the canoes to the three islands inside it.
When to go?
You can travel to Yunnan throughout the year, the best times to do the Tiger Leaping Gorges trek are in May, October, and November. Best to avoid the rainy season between June and the end of August as the trails in the gorge can become slippery and dangerous. In addition, roads to Wumu and Baoshan can eventually be cut off by landslides.
During the trek in the gorge, you will have to pass over small streams or climb some rocks. Please bring good walking shoes to avoid slipping. If heavy rains hit the area, the trek can become dangerous. Our customers’ safety is paramount, so sometimes we have to cancel it.
It is also important to always have a bottle of water. The water from the streams is not filtered, so it is not considered drinkable.
During your hike, respect the nature around you and bring a small plastic bag for your waste. The fauna and flora are rich there, let’s try to preserve it as much as possible.